Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Beginning Project #1...

So, where to begin? Trying to pick one book out of hundreds could take me forever.... I started out perusing the titles and looking for slips of paper sticking out of the top of the book (meaning that I had marked the book for something that interested me). I began pulling books off the shelves until I realized that all I was doing was confusing myself! I put them all back, thinking of a better way to make my selection...

Then I thought, sometimes in life, one must just take a leap - so I turned around three times, closed my eyes and stuck my hand out. The book I touched was "Fabric Art Workshop" by Susan Stein (Creative Publishing International, 2007). The back cover shows photos of the steps of silk fusion and I just so happen to have a little box full of silk fusion supplies that I have never done anything with. PERFECT!

Here's a photo of some of the goodies in the box - I'm going to work on creating some fused pieces tonight and will leave them to dry overnight. I don't know what finished project I'll make with them, time to figure that out later!
One of the things that I like about this book is that it is pretty much an encyclopedia of surface design & fiber techniques. There are just a few pages of finished projects at the back of the book. The instructions are concise with clear step by step photos. Definitely a book that I will re-visit.

Off to fuse some silk fibers!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see what develops!!! This is such fun. NewJane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jane! I am looking forward to the journey. I have SO many cool supplies - time to use them! Cheers, Gail ;)

    ReplyDelete