Monday, November 30, 2009

Books I Love

If you are looking for books to put on your "wish list', here are a few I recommend... The first one is by artist Andy Goldsworthy, titled "A Collaboration With Nature". The artist uses materials found in nature to create fascinating sculptures - some that last only a short time, like those made of thin sheets of ice from a stream. The photography is beautiful and the concept is very inspiring - it will be fun to find opportunities to work with Mother Nature's art supplies!

Another book that I love is "Everyday Sacred" by Sue Bender. It was originally loaned to me by a friend who said she saw me in the pages, which made reading it even more intriguing for me. The book is about a bowl, seeing with new eyes, appreciation, and being open to the possibilities before us. It is a lovely book, one that I am now reading for the third time. I find the journey through the pages to be both comforting and energizing. I loved the book so much that I bought six of them to give as gifts. Buy it for yourself & put it in your stocking as a gift from Santa!
The third book on my little list is "Caffeine for the Creative Mind" by Stefan Mamaw and Wendy Lee Oldfield. "250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain" is the promise on the front cover - and true it is! The focus of the book leans towards more commercial artists but the exercises are worthwhile for any creative mind. Some of them are thought provoking, others are silly (like writing a jingle about a ball of lint). Some of my best ideas have come from surprising places and I'm sure that I'll eventually come up with something interesting through these exercises!
Time to go work on my "Crossroads' quilt... I've given it some thought and it's time to start pulling out the fabrics I'll use (translation: making another creative mess in my studio!)

No comments:

Post a Comment