Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Busy getting nothing done...

For the first time since I started this project, I missed my Saturday deadline. It is likely that I will miss this week's also. It has been bothering me a little, after all, this project was supposed to get me back in creative mode!

Then, when I gave it some thought, I realized that it was probably unrealistic of me to think I could do this without ever "being late", and, while I haven't gotten my blog project done, I have been doing a lot of creative things....

For example, last Saturday, my sister & her boyfriend had a party and guests were asked to bring a carved pumpkin - one per person! My father was also invited and asked me to carve his pumpkin also. Three Jack O'Lanterns! I really didn't have time to carve them so I came up with another idea... I had a wooden base with a dowel in it that I had assembled for an unfinished project a few years ago. I carved holes in the base and top of three pumpkins and stacked them on the pole. The top pumpkin had a hole in just the base. I added a small straw hat and painted a face with black gesso - it was a Stack-O-Lantern and a great hit. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures!

I've also been working on a super secret something that has taken some creative thought. My point is, even when I am not being directly creative, my creative side is awake and working.









Since I don't have any project pictures to show you this week, I'm going to share photos of our newly painted garage. My husband's side is University of Tennessee orange (his alma mater), my side is a more sedate "Squish Squash" yellow. I just couldn't paint the whole thing orange! So we compromised and we're both happy. And that, my friends, is the secret to a happy marriage!

This is going to be a super busy week, my in-laws arrive tomorrow from Florida and we are celebrating my father's 80th birthday on Sunday. With all that going on, I don't see how I can get a blog project done! I'm planning on making it up in the next couple of weeks.

On another note, I bought a most amazing book a few days ago, it's a book full of photos of nature projects, sculptural arrangements of objects from nature - leaves, stones, icicles, bamboo, berries, all kinds of things. Really beautiful stuff. I will be using that for one of my projects - but more on that next time.... until then, hope you are in a creative state of mind!

4 comments:

  1. Being a kind person begins at home. You are being gentle with yourself and that's a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the cleanest garage I've ever seen and I Iove the colors. Both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Karen, you are right. Managing "want to's" and "have to's" is often a challenge. Things will settle down soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Norma, our garage "stuff" was still in the storage POD when I took the pictures! It still looks pretty good though - certainly better than what we started with! Glad you like the colors (my husband, the Tennessee Volunteers fan, says "orange goes with everything"!).

    ReplyDelete