Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Clean Slate...


A New Year, a Clean Slate... I'm not big on looking back and feeling bad about things I didn't get done in the past year. I find it much more productive to create a new plan and move forward without the weight of regrets!

I'm looking out my studio window today and see a bare landscape blanketed in a white coat of snow. It reminds me of a new canvas - nothing but possibilities, its future to be determined by my hand, my direction.

I am looking forward to the creative journeys I will take in the New Year. I am planning to learning more about my camera and creating more photo-inspired quilts. I am excited about developing some collage/painting/quilt projects that I've been thinking about. I will find joy in sharing my work with others through my blog, magazine articles and, hopefully, a book project. Who knows, I may even finally open an ETSY store!

On another subject, I am weeks behind on my "Bookworm 52" blog project but I'm not going to make myself nuts trying to "catch up". It's all about moving forward! Here is a photo of the pincushions I made, inspired by the book "Pretty Little Pincushions":
They were fun to make, I used scraps of felted wool (from Goodwill store sweaters) and stitched them all by hand. I've got a new fondness for featherstitch and french knots and love my colorful box full of embroidery floss.

When I was a little girl, I remember opening a brand new box of Crayola 64 crayons. Having the "big box" with all those colors was so exciting! My studio is the big girl version of that box of crayons - surrounded by color and the tools of my chosen mediums, I feel that same little girl anticipation when I walk into the room.

So, here I am, with the blank canvas of a new year and the rainbow of ideas dancing in my head. 2010 will be a great year!

1 comment:

  1. every christmas, my brothers and i woke up to new box of 64 for each of us! the smell of a new box of crayolas is one of my best childhood memories.

    here's to a clean slate and endless possibilities, gail!

    ReplyDelete