Saturday, February 16, 2013

Getting started is the toughest part!

I currently have three projects with deadlines to work on, a small format art quilt "inspired by a line of poetry or song lyric", a pair of altered shoes for a Heart Health fundraiser, and a fiber art piece for an upcoming exhibit.  I have spent hours pondering what I am going to do for each of them...

Poem after poem has been read and discarded - I like the poetry but can't come up with a visual translation that makes sense to me.  I've wandered lonely as a cloud, given up on the daffodils to find myself on a road less traveled and I've tried to keep my head when all about me were losing theirs.  I know that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree by the shores of the Gitche Gumee - I am now following the advice of Miller, in his poem "Columbus".... "Sail on! sail on! sail on! and on!".  I am sailing on in my search for the right poem... here's hoping I find it soon!

The altered shoe project is a fundraiser for the "Kick Off Your Heels" fundraisr for the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart Center at Cedars-Sinai Hospital.  I've got some ideas but I want to my project to be one that people will want to buy (oh, how sad it would be to be the one project that does NOT sell in an online charity auction...).

And then there is the fiber art piece for an upcoming exhibit.... I've got that figured out in my head and have even gotten the fabric out and sorted.  I need to figure out what my "base" will be and then I can get going on that one.  I do have some surface design things to work out, I guess that would be a good place to start.

Whether it be writing or an art project, I always find that starting is the toughest part.  The first line of an essay or article is, for me, the greatest challenge.  It sometimes takes me longer to write the first line or two than it takes to write the next couple of pages!   Art projects are the same way - the first swipe of paint on a canvas, the first cut into a piece of fabric - the committment to the idea, the hope that I'm on the right path and that it will all come together.....

I'm back to my search for the right line of poetry.... any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Can you make the piece you'd like to make and THEN look for the poem? No need to say what inspiration came first in the creative process.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my biggest challenge is that I'm such a "literal" person! I am trying to take a more conceptual track - a challenge for me! I'm going to start something tomorrow after work - cut, layer, stitch & see what happens... I may wind up doing what you suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing what Vivien suggested. I now have made two pieces because I'm not sure if I love the first one. Now I have to look for the line of poetry. Funny, but "the road not taken" was one of my first choices, but I couldn't come up with a design I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I found a poem and made significant progress on the quilt elements last night. However, this morning I looked at it all again and realized I'm once again being very "literal" in my interpretation. I'm going to finish what I've started and am then going to make an abstact one - then I'll either decide which one I like or bring both to the meeting & let the group decide (which I know, can be dangerous, LOL!). Ah, Jane, the challenges she gives us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete